Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

rehearsing your 90th birthday

Part 1: My mom just turned 90. She's doing great. Lives on her own. All that good stuff.

Part 2: I took a workshop with Eiko & Koma yesterday. A very beautiful exercise.... basically we ended up with partners. Eiko had told a story about their work earlier that week with some elders in a nursing home. And dancing with a 90 year old woman, "choreographing" her. With our partner, they closed their eyes, and we were to very gently move them into a dance for a 90 year old. Very slow, gentle, elegantly simple. The person being guided was to remember the movements and then "perform" them - and to infuse each movement with a 90 year old history. I thought about how we could rehearse now, for our 90th birthday. SO because I am dancing Mary these days - I am thinking of having a section where Mary rehearses her 90th birthday.

Connecting to the idea of the differences between Angel time and Human time - which also comes from the "rock time" thoughts I had in Argentina. In Argentina we were at this amazing desert place - Talampaya. Where these huge huge rocks balanced impossibly on the landscape. I wondered why they didn't fall. Until it occured to me - they are falling. Its just that they are moving in rock time, and in my human time I can't see the motion.
When Gabriel comes back to visit Mary, he thinks he's only been gone a day or two. but she is in human time. years have passed...

I have to stop writing. I am supposed to be reading: Objectivism's Consonance

1 comment:

  1. Gabriel and all those other angels travel at nearly the speed of light. Even at that speed, heaven is still a couple of days away. But you know what happens at that speed: What seems like a day or two to you is years for the place you left behind. Until Einstein told us that, we didn't know what was up.

    ReplyDelete