Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

What's behind the story

Kobutsu just asked "What is the "lesson" being
propagated by this story?" and that is a main question for me. I guess being raised as a Unitarian, I always look for the metaphor in the stories - and believe that they (the stories) are there for us as metaphors. Not history. So I keep asking myself what is the metaphor in the Annunciation? But the "rape" keeps getting in my way. Then I came across this idea: from Ken Mogi (read the whole thing on his blog - link above and also in the resources links to the right). From Ken Mogi:

"The annunciation.
When a new idea visits us, the archangel Gabriel kneels before us, telling us that a new idea has been conceived. The idea does not stand still. Once conceived, it keeps growing, matures, until finally a fruit is borne.
Life is a vast ocean of change in which the annunciation might visit us at any moment. The miracle is to be found in the most subtle symptoms. We thus breathe on earth forever enthralled." - Ken Mogi

No comments:

Post a Comment